Monday 12 March 2007

ON THE ROAD costs the same as on the drive!

It seems that I may have mentioned (on the taped phonecall) not having a drive for the mini insurance but not on the one for the Ford Prefect. As I said in my email to them today, surely, if I don't have a drive for one of my cars, I won't have a drive for the other.

But to be fair to the broker, I took out the Prefect insurance before the mini one (even if I did get quotes for both on the same day). Anyway, they are sending me copies of the phonecalls so that I can check to see whether I got it wrong and hadn't in fact mentioned the absence of a drive.

I did ask what the added premium will be and was told that the first policy would have to be cancelled (and I'd pay an admin fee of £13 for the change - or this can be seen as a partial refund) and a new policy must be bought. But here is the irony: the new policy will cost no more for parking on the road than the old one cost for parking on the non-existant drive! Apparently the to-be-cancelled policy makes a stipulation about drives, while the new one won't.

So, the moral is, SHOUT IT LOUD AND CLEAR:


"I DO NOT HAVE A DRIVE. I DO NOT HAVE A GARAGE. THE CAR WILL BE ON THE ROAD. PLEASE FIND ME A POLICY FOR THIS SITUATION"........................which is what I thought I did ask for, but you can never be too sure, so it is worth reiterating the point several times and possibly even getting a stenographer or a procurator fiscal to read the content of the phonecall back to you.